Carpenters is a larger than average Primary School in East London. It's a two form entry school and has 480 pupils on roll, with 65 staff. 35% of pupils are entitled to Free School Meals and 81.0% of children are EAL. The school was judged as Requires Improvement in January 2014. The school has a strong leadership team.
Although the school was strong in the lower years, achievement was not good enough over time, particularly in Key Stage 2.
Pupils had not made enough progress and teaching was not yet consistently good in all year groups and did not challenge the more able pupils.
Teachers did not always use opportunities across the curriculum to give pupils precise guidance about developing writing skills. And although work was regularly marked, there was sometimes a lack of sufficient detail to give pupils clear ideas about the steps necessary to reach the next level.
TT Education put together an innovative and comprehensive customised solution which met the school's specific needs and priorities.
The 18 month programme of support includes 4 twilight sessions, 39 days of consultancy support and 2 INSET days.
Our support included working with leadership on strategic development, personal one-to-one support for teachers and TAs and model lessons, all specifically tailored to meet the individual needs & requirements of the school.
With our ongoing support, Carpenters have seen the following evidence of a positive impact:
- Literacy Attainment increased by 25 percentage points, from 51% in 2013 to 76% in 2014.
- Good Level of Development increased by 22 percentage points from 49% in 2013 to 71% in 2014.
- Reading Attainment increased from 72% attaining 4+ in 2013 to 95% attaining 4+ in 2014.
- Writing Attainment increased from 72% attaining 4+ in 2013 to 87% attaining 4+ in 2014.
- Grammar Attainment increased from 75% attaining 4+ in 2013 to 87% attaining 4+ in 2014.